Did you know that asparagus makes your pee smell funky?
Yay. Truly appetizing, I know.
(By the way, do you see the papers in the background? I’m currently editing my professor’s book about property rights in biospace. Just one teeeensy-weensy complaint to the publishers at Harvard: If you are going to write the Bluebook, our ultimate guide to uniform citations, then why don’t you use the Bluebook formatting styles when you publish at Harvard? Why do you have a separate system of citations? I do not understand! Enlighten me, please!)
But really now, asparagus is quite good for you. High in folic acid (Vitamin B9, which is necessary to help repair DNA– which may or may not aid in preventing cancer) and a great source of potassium, fiber, thiamin, and vitamins A, B6, and C, what’s not to like? And with my super simple recipe (see below), it’s REALLY easy to cook– and delicious, to boot!
Note: How do you know where to cut an asparagus? I learned this from watching Food Network: just take a spear of asparagus and hold it firmly on both ends. Bend it, and it should snap somewhere towards the bottom end of the spear. If all of your asparagus is from the same batch and is roughly the same size, you can cut the rest of the asparagus at this point (everything below is usually a bit tougher– what falls above the break point is more tender). You can then cut the rest of the spear into smaller pieces, if you want.
- a bunch of asparagus (approximately one handful)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- half tsp minced garlic (opt.)
- ~1/3 cup water
- Cut the asparagus as demonstrated in the Note above, and then wash.
- Heat the garlic in the olive oil on medium high in a skillet.
- Add the asparagus spears to the oil and garlic, and toss briefly.
- Approximately 2 minutes later, add the water. Cover the skillet and let the asparagus steam for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, toss or mix the asparagus, and then let it sit on the stove for another minute.
Filed under: farmer's market, photography, Recipes | 3 Comments
Tags: asparagus, farmer's market, Food, Homemade, pee, san francisco, smell